Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Happy Birthday Cecilia!

Cecilia's birthday was last Thursday. I meant to post, but I was so busy getting ready for her party. I think she knew that it was her birthday too because she didn't take a nap the whole day. Cecilia and I spent some time out, she loves people so I knew that would be her choice. We went to Discovery Gateway, a children's museum. She loves to go there and watch all the kids run around and play. I think it is an artifact from the cast. She did really enjoy playing in the water exhibit though. There was a small slide that you could put a ball in and watch it slide down and fall into the pool. The first time I took her ball and put it down the slide she screamed (for joy) so loud that several parents looked our way. Which is saying something because it was really loud there, I guess it was spring break. We didn't do the traditional destroy the cake on her birthday but saved it for her party on Saturday.
Her party was a blast. We had it at Fairmont Pool. I wanted to do something she couldn't do in the cast and she loves swimming so it was perfect. There was lots of food, party favors, pool toys, and many friends and family members to share them with. Grandpa and Grandma Ritchie even flew in from AZ for it.

I made her cake, which I won't do again. She really didn't eat much but I had such a hard time giving her cake which is lots of sugar. So I made a carrot cake, the healthiest cake I could find. And I made the frosting with part powdered sugar and part powdered milk. The recipe made it sound like it would taste the same. It doesn't, don't try it. I won't ever make it again, it really tastes like powdered milk which if you remember back to the last time your mom tried to use up the food storage, it's gross. Although Cecilia didn't know the difference since this was her first cake. Next baby will get a store bought cake with regular fluffy cake and sugary frosting. All the mom's told me they really don't eat much, but I remembered a picture of myself with my first cake and it was everywhere so had a hard time believing not much goes in the mouth. But I was probably like Cecilia who just liked to play in it rather than eat it. I really wanted a picture of her like I have of me. It is one of my favorite pictures of myself. It took her a while to get into it, all the distracting kids had to go swimming before she would concentrate on the task at hand. But in the end I got some great pictures of a messy 1 year old. Everyone had a great time, especially the Birthday Girl so the party was a success. Here are some pics.

We made the cupcake toppers. They took longer than I expected, but would have been forever without my friends punches, thanks Steph!

It is hard to read from here, but the sign says Happy 1st Birthday Cecilia.

Part of the party favors. Who can resist brightly colored M&M's? They matched the colors of the party perfectly, bonus!



Here is the healthy birthday cake. It's not pretty on it's own, but the cute paper dolls help.



Our dainty little girl had to carefully check it out.

And taste it to make sure it was edible.


Yeah it is!


Now she is getting into it.


One of the few times she ate any.


The sweet thing is trying to share with a friend, although he doesn't want any :)


Squishing it in her fingers. This is where most of the mess came from and when she really started to get into it.

Done! she pushed the cake off the table. Then looks at me like, next! Now let's compare to my picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment